My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thrifty Green Thursday

Need a bag? No problem.

My daughter entered 7th grade this year and has to start changing for PE class. In need of way to transport sweaty gym socks without stinking up her entire back pack and reduce the mountain of clothes recently purged from her closet we decided to combine the two.






=





She picked a purple skirt that no longer fits from the purge pile. It is everything she loves - purple, sparkly, and has bells that jingle. I made her rip the seams to separate the two halves and inner and outer linings. Then she released the elastic from the waistband and removed the ties holding the jingle bells. We only needed fabric from half the skirt to make the bag. I think the other half will be turned into an apron for her. She's a good kitchen helper.


  • First we sewed in the drawstring, which came from another purple skirt, and attached the bell ties - purely for decoration.
  • Then we stitched the two halves together. Inner and outer lining.
  • Turned it inside out and sewed the inner lining closed.
  • Turned it right side out and closed the bottom of the outer lining.
  • Used some scrap pieces to fashion straps.
  • Attached the straps and inserted stinky gym socks. Done!


From last year's skirt to this year's must have accessory. Sew easy!

Another simple reusable bag you can make from cast off clothing is the camisole tote. They are both great ways to spend an afternoon teaching your child a life skill. There are so many lessons to be learned here. Problem solving, frugality, wasting less, consuming less, self sufficiency. Plus, she just likes that fact that no one else will have a bag like hers. Priceless.

10 comments:

CanCan said...

Very cool idea!
I love that fabric, too!

Rebecca said...

That turned out great! Somehow I think that if I tried to do that, it would end up looking really bad. Maybe I am underestimating my sewing skills, though. I love that you made an entire backpack out of old clothes your daughter loved!

Thanks for joining us for Thrifty Green Thursday!

Cathy said...

That's adorable. I'll have to try that.

Kathleen W. said...

What a great idea! And it looks so professionally made. Maybe you've opened up a new business opportunity for yourself!

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Cute backpack! It's too pretty for stinky socks though.

GreenStyleMom said...

Super cute idea! I'm always looking for something to make out of the clothes my kids damage too much to resell or donate. Thanks for the idea!

Joy said...

She'll be getting lots of compliments at school on her bag--and questions about where it was purchased. Lucky for her, it's one of a kind!! How wonderful that she got the chance to participate in the whole process and will then enjoy the fruits of your combined creativity on a daily basis. You make me want to go hunt down a used sewing machine this minute! Thanks for joining us this Thrifty Green Thursday!

Stephanie said...

I need to learn to sew.

And yet I've always had reservations about it because Sewing Is Something Women Do, and I don't want to "give in" to that stereotype. I want more men to sew, too.

But seriously, I need to learn to sew. (Or I could get a man to learn to sew and then commission him for all of my sewn projects... good idea?)

EnviRambo said...

All - thanks for all the compliments! I am soooo not a sewer. I got my first sewing machine for Christmas last year and am just learning how to use it. I've had no lessons, no instructions, and no patterns. I just experiment and make it up as I go. Deconstructing other garments has been a valuable learning tool.

Even if you think you can't sew, just try it. I can't and look what I made. Surprise! Surprise!

Green Bean said...

Okay, you really make me think that I need to get a sewing machine! This is too cute.