My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Clearinghouse - Sock it to me!

Purge list:
  • t-shirt drawer
  • cami drawer
  • work out drawer
  • pajama drawer
  • underwear drawer & bra/swim drawer
  • sock drawer
  • junk drawer
Sock drawer.

Ahhhh yes... my sock drawer. I saved the worst for last. Well, last of the clothing in my dresser anyway, I still have the junk drawer to do. I have been dreading this one because there are a lot of socks in there - 69 to be exact! and I will not be parting with many of them.

Taking stock:
Contents = 69 pairs of socks.


Despite the fact that I own enough socks to outfit a centipede, I cannot bring myself to part with many of them. I am keeping all of the boot socks. The snow gets pretty deep here in Wisconsin so I spend most of the winter in boots. I managed to whittle my trouser socks down to five pair. One each to match the three pair of dress shoes that I would wear socks with and two neutral pair to go with any of them. All five of the athletic socks are going. Refer to my workout drawer as to the reason why. I am keeping five of the long and twelve of the short everyday socks. I know it may sound like a lot, but I really do wear all of these everyday. Not all at once everyday! I am not the centipede in the picture. I could only part with three of the winter socks. They were wool, which drive me nuts, otherwise I would hold onto to them, too. And lastly, the four house socks are a must keep! House socks? Thick fuzzy socks I only wear in the house as, or in conjunction with slippers. Wood floors are cold!


43 pair still seems like too many. Nearly half of them are specifically for the winter, so it is really more like 23 pair, right? My feet are so cold I sometimes sleep with socks on. Right now, at 2:00 in the afternoon on a beautifully sunny September day, it is 64 degrees in my house and 75 degrees outside. Without having the AC on! I told you my house was cold. I am posting in socks, of course, slippers and a sweatshirt. Admittingly, I am making excuses to justify the amount of socks I am keeping. I warned you I would way back here.


This week's weight loss is three pounds. That brings the tally of clothing removed from my nine drawer dresser no longer full to 29 pounds. It is mind boggling that I had to work to deliberately remove 29 pounds of clothing, which seems like a lot, yet according to the EPA Office of Solid Waste, Americans throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year! Without regard to where it is going or the benefits it could provide to someone else and the environment by staying out of the landfill. If we are throwing away that much clothing per year, it makes me stop and wonder did I ever need to buy it in the first place?

Running Total = 29 pounds of unnecessary clothing purchased.

To see it all: Clearinghouse

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The fact that you have (had?) 69 pairs of socks and not one was missing it's matching half is amazing in itself. I always manage to lose a few and I don't know how! If you ask me, you can never have too many socks, or too many underwear even though you've purged those already, especially if you live in a colder region. I'm all about being green, but you never know when you'll have to layer those suckers on. If I came to Wisconsin in the winter, I would probably wear three pairs of underwear and socks around my ears. I'm from the south - I don't really do cold.

Congratulations on the purging! You seem to be doing a great job!

EnviRambo said...

jennifer - You are too funny. mental image of you with socks on your ears

Yes, had. I set a free table out by the road this weekend and the socks were on it. Not anymore. Someone else can keep their ears warm now.

Sadly, I have a bag and a box full of orphaned socks due to the elusive sock monster. I wonder then how many I actually had???