My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thrifty Green Thursday


Free yourself!

At least once a year our home goes through a major purge. It is amazing the amount of crap one can collect in a year's time! Even if you do not buy much, there always seems to be unwanted gifts, something your relatives guilted you into taking, toys or clothes your kids have outgrown, and even things you may have outgrown yourself. Like the lamp that was too good of a deal to pass up a few years ago; only now, you have come to the realization it was such a steal due to its sheer hideousness. Yeah, you know have something similar in your house right now.

All of that compounded with items we gave up in pursuit of a "greener" lifestyle
the clutter has reached critical mass in our household and it is time to purge. I have slowly been clearing out my clothing collection, the chitlins have purged their bedrooms, we organized the basement, and cleaned out the garage. A small mountain of castoffs now stood before us. I highly value my time and can think of a million other things I would rather do than load up all this stuff and make multiple trips to the local thrift store. Not to mention the cost of gas! Likewise, spending the entire weekend haggling over fifty cents for a garage sale does not sound like much fun either. Admittingly, we probably could have made a couple hundred bucks having the sale, but spending time baking with the chitlins or taking a family bike ride is much more valuable to me. Free table it is!


We set a FREE table out by the road and over the course of the weekend got rid of everything! You would be amazed at what people will take if it is free. While replenishing the table I met lots of interesting people. Everyone was very polite and overly thankful for the items they took. I heard many stories of how the items were going to help So and So, about troubles people were having in their lives, answered many questions as to why I was giving away so much stuff - No, I am not moving, and learned how my items were filling a gap in theirs. It was wonderful. The many thanks and smiles will always out weigh the potential dollars.

Some of things that went to good homes:
  • cleaning supplies I quit using over a year ago in favor of vinegar and baking soda
  • plastic cooking utensils replaced with bamboo
  • tupperware and ziploc food containers
  • excess serving bowls
  • many coffee mugs
  • reusable lexan water bottles
  • a small fryer
  • dish drainer
  • partially used cans of paint
  • half burnt candles
  • Christmas decorations
  • picture frames
  • shoes
  • all of my purged socks and bras
  • tons of toys
  • doll house
  • Barbie cars
  • remote control cars
  • transformers
  • moon sand
  • coloring books
  • crayons
  • children's books
  • vhs and dvd movies
  • snowpants
  • swim suits
  • clothing
  • aquarium and everything you would need, minus the fish
  • vacuum cleaner
  • bathroom trashcan
  • shower curtain hooks
  • toilet brushes
  • toothbrush
  • toothpaste and mouthwash
  • tampons - I'm a Diva
  • cosmetics
  • many lotions
  • shampoo
  • bath salts
  • air fresheners
  • razors
  • hotel toiletries
  • pictures
  • curtains
  • entertainment center
  • bookends
  • books
  • magazines
  • chafing dishes
The list goes on and on. I realize this is not exactly a way to be thrifty yourself, but if you take into account the time and gas it would take to haul everything to the thrift store or the enormous undertaking of a garage sale you might have a different perspective. Plus, keeping all of this out of the trash is a great way to help the environment and others. On man's trash is truly another man's treasure.

Next time you purge consider setting up a FREE table. Free your home of clutter, free your valuable time, free your sanity and free yourself!

For other thrifty green ideas visit Thrifty Green Thursday.

5 comments:

Jen said...

It's suggestions like these that make me yearn for a non-urban setting where I could set up something like that.
What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and I love it. Great to hear what you are up to, and especially the interesting contrast between you and your factory farm counterparts. I've been reading your back posts, but am commenting here because this is the most recent.

I'm impressed with your underwear culling. I always justify many pairs of panties by thinking I have to do laundry half as often. Also, off topic on this post, but what is a bralette??

Rebecca said...

We recently moved, and I spent hours and hours doing the same thing: sorting through my stuff and getting rid off piles and piles of it. The free table is an excellent idea. I seem to get all these flyers for charities who will come pick up your stuff, so I usually do that. The free table sounds like more fun because you get to hear how people are using everything. Plus, you can't donate half-full cans of paint and cleaners to most charities. Great idea!

And thanks for joining us for Thrifty Green Thursday again!

Rebecca said...

I'm double-commenting because I was thinking about this post today. The first Jen said she longed for a non-urban setting so she could have a free table. Jen, every apartment I've lived in here in Portland has a free table in the basement where residents get rid of stuff. Because people are always moving in and out, I acquired a LOT of stuff this way (and got rid of a lot of stuff, too). People even left furniture behind, and I still have a desk and chair I got for free at my last apartment's free pile! They are really not very nice, but hey--free!

Our apartment manager would call up Goodwill or someone every so often to clear out stuff that wasn't taken. Maybe you could start something like this where you live!

EnviRambo said...

jen - if your surroundings do not allow a free table like mine you could list your culled clutter on freecycle or craigslist. Even the oddest little things people will take.

jen cleanbin - thank you! I checked out your site and admire what you are doing. That takes tenacity!

Sorting through my stuff has made me realize just how much shit I buy. For no good reason, too. I would like to trim down to a week's worth of clothes that I really love. I end up doing laundry more than that cause of the chitlins, but if need be we could make it.

BTW, a bralette is basically a sports bra, but instead of being one straight piece of fabric it has cups built in the front for better support. I love them! No wires, no hooks, wide straps that stay put and don't dig in. Waaaay more comfy than a bra!

rebecca - the cleaners and oddities that charities will not accept is my main reason for the free table. Even though I choose not to use conventional cleaners anymore does not mean I am opposed to someone else making use of them rather than just adding to the trash. You can also check with your municipality's hazard waste site. Mine accepts chemicals, cleaners and paint and has a reuse room where other people can exchange products for ones they need.