My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Affluent

Am I affluent? I'm no millionaire, my house is half the size of my neighbor's behemoth, I do not drive fancy cars or wear designer clothes; hell, I even filed for bankruptcy in the last decade. So accepting the A in APLS, was a category I did not consider myself in. Thinking locally, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I am not one of them.

But on a global scale, it is a much different story. After calculating my rank on the Global Rich List, it appears I am far better off than I had perceived.


Reading other bloggers' take on the subject altered my perception, as well. But I still was not convinced. Then I decided to consult Mr. Webster.
Main Entry:
1af·flu·ent Listen to the pronunciation of 1affluent
Pronunciation:
\-ənt\
Function:
adjective
1 : flowing in abundance <affluent streams> <affluent creativity> 2 : having a generously sufficient and typically increasing supply of material possessions <affluent society>

2 : having a generously sufficient and typically increasing supply of material possessions <affluent society> Oh, bloody hell. If any of you have been following my posts Clearinghouse, then you know damn well I have a generously sufficient and typically increasing supply of material possessions. Yep, I am affluent.

Now what? Well, owning up to it is the first step. Isn't funny how we live in a society that constantly strives to accumulate more material possessions, is overly career driven chasing the almighty dollar, and seemingly obsessed with keeping up with the Joneses to showcase our affluence, suddenly becomes sheepish when asked point blank about our wealth? Well, we're not rich, but we do okay. Why is it a social faux pas to ask someone how much they make? We are flaunting our wealth all over the place basically screaming our salary anyway. But when someone outright asks, egads! Now you are going to be humble?! Come on.

I learned the hard way that money and possessions do not bring you happiness. The cure for my affluenza was giving rather than getting. I gave up my salary to focus on my family. They appreciate the time I take to make homemade meals from food we have grown more than me being gone for 40+ hours a week working to pay for ready made meals. I volunteer - a lot. I became more connected with my community. No matter how strapped for cash, I give it away. I am aware of my impact on the world around me.

I freecycle the possessions I once coveted but really do not need. I buy less stuff and learn to make do with what I already have. I shower my children with time teaching life skills rather than toys to keep them occupied. I ask for donations to charity in lieu of birthday/Christmas gifts. I always grab a tag or two from the holiday giving tree. I save my change all year in hopes of filling a red kettle at the end. I dole out baked goods to anyone who steps foot in my house. And, I count my blessings that I entered this world affluent and find solace in the fact that I will leave it flat broke, tired, yet fulfilled that I gave it all away.


September's APLS Blog Carnival topic is Affluence.
Stop by Green Bean Dreams on September 15, for the full list of bloggers posting on this topic.

2 comments:

Green Bean said...

Leaving this world flat broke due to giving? What a wonderful, rich path to embark upon. I'll venture to say that when you leave this world you'll be far wealthier than any of those Joneses.

Mama said...

Great post! I am so glad that this carnival is helping us "meet" each other! We have also simplified our lives, and make less money no because of our choices. Our lives are exceedingly abundant because of the deliberate decision to simplify. We can all give, of our time, of our voices, of our energy, to make the world a better place.