My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Shattered Dreams

Today I am lamenting the loss of a dear friend.


One of the perils of a plastic free kitchen is that things will get broken. And that's exactly what happened. I had baked a batch of Oatmeal Raisin cookies (with zucchini and banana) and had the bowl soaking in the sink. Later that evening after making dinner, I balanced our cast iron skillet over the sink, as I often do, to soak it as well. I distinctly remember seeing my beloved batter bowl in the sink below it and had a fleeting thought of maybe this isn't such a good idea. But alas, I let it pass. No one will mess with it. We're all going to bed and I am the only one who bothers with the dishes anyway. Or, so I thought.

The next morning Hubby wakes me with "I've got some bad news and you're not going to like it". Like anyone ever actually likes bad news. I already knew the inevitable. You didn't?! Yep. I wanted to chew his ass up one side and down the other. Why couldn't he leave those four plates sitting in the sink?! It not like he needed to use it. Or, was putting them in the dish washer. No! He thought he would tidy up by placing them in plain sight on the damn counter! Only for me to place them in the dishwasher as soon as I came down stairs. WTF. Was that extra move really necessary? Arrrrgh!!!! But instead I whimpered silently and shed a tear. It was my own damn fault for putting it in harm's way. He was so apologetic and only trying to help out, albeit in his own unnecessary annoying kind of way. He even asked if it should go in the recycling bin. How can I be mad at that.


So, good bye dear friend. We've had some good times - the cookies, the pancakes, giblet stock at Thanksgiving. *sigh* You will be sorely missed. *sniffle*


4 comments:

ib mommy said...

Oh man! Is that a Pampered Chef batter bowl?? I broke mine last week while cleaning up after making butternut squash pie. However, I knocked mine off the counter and it shattered into a bajillion pieces. As soon as my elbow hit it I screamed knowing it was toast. I loved that batter bowl..... I feel your pain.

EnviRambo said...

ib mommy - Is there a Pampered Chef batter bowl?! Mine was vintage, but if there is a replacement available I could fill the hole in my heart.

Sorry for your loss.

ib mommy said...

Oh no! Now I really feel for you.... Yup, PC has one that runs about $15 I think. You should make more cookies to ease the pain.

Green Bean said...

Ohhhh! The same exact thing happened to mine - not a batter bowl but close. It was from the Martha Stewart KMart collection and a giant glass measuring cup. I almost cried when it broke. Guess I'm not alone in my love of plastic-free equipment. ;-)