My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, August 25, 2008

Paper, Plastic, or Cami?

Two weeks into my closet diet and already I have begun to amass quite a pile of shed clothing. Today while sifting through the pile, I was sorting the camisoles into sell/donate and cleaning cloth categories when Eureka!

Have you ever noticed that a camisole looks a lot like a tote bag? The handles are already built in. Which is good for me, because I am very much a beginner sewer.

The materials:
One paint splattered camisole and the drawstring from one pair of paint splattered pants were all I needed to make a super easy tote bag. Well, and thread of course! I started by pinning the drawstring that I removed from the pants to the underside of the elastic on the shelf bra inside the camisole.
Finding the center of the back side as the starting point, I worked my way around to the front. Half on the right and half on the left. The elastic will be folded over the drawstring and sewn shut. Prior to doing this I sewed a button hole for the drawstring to be pulled through.

This is what it looked like after being sewn shut. I also stitched a line on the back center through the drawstring to hold it in place. I hate it when the string gets off center and either sucks inside or gets pulled out completely! This will assure that does not happen.

Next step is to turn the camisole inside out and pin the bottom hems together.
Sew the bottom shut. Turn right side out and your done!



This was so easy and has lots of uses.
  1. Farmer's Market
  2. Produce Bag
  3. Child's overnight sack
  4. Gym bag
  5. Dirty laundry from camp
  6. Shoe bag for suitcase
  7. Clothespin carrier
  8. Lingerie bag for washing
  9. Wet clothes from the beach
  10. Garbage bag for the car
  11. Picking morels in spring
  12. Picking apples in the fall
  13. Store winter hats/gloves by the door

Get creative and find ways to repurpose your castaways. What have you turned yours into? I have a whole pile awaiting transformation. I would love to hear your ideas!

5 comments:

hmd said...

What a great idea! Nice work!

Lori said...

Thanks for the idea. I'm amazed at how much you've managed to purge in the short time I've been reading your blog - it must be great to be so much...lighter...

Keep up the good work!

EnviRambo said...

Thanks Heather & Lori.

I am amazed I have been able to part with so much. Clothes were so much a part of my life, I would not have imagined it would be so easy to part with them. My whole perspective on what really matters has drastically changed in a relatively short amount of time.

Unknown said...

Wow - great idea! I use old jeans and turn them into tote bags, pillows and rag rugs!

EnviRambo said...

bobbi - Denim is a wonderful material to reuse. It never wears out. Well, except for on children's knees! I have a few pairs waiting to be turned into draft stoppers under our doors this winter.