My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sustainable Living

Sustainable living for me has a lot more to do with materialism than preserving the environment. At least that is how is started.

Five years ago my then spouse and I were living the American Dream. Successful dual-income family, living in a brand new house, two cars in the driveway, toys in the garage, closet spilling over with clothes, eating out, weekends at the cabin, coming and going as we pleased without a care in the world. Spending money without batting an eye.

Fast forward one year... despite my working three jobs, fourteen plus hours a day, and his income we were bankrupt. No house, no marriage, no life, but a whole hell of a lot of debt. Some dream!

Two more years past. Remarried, dual-income family, I cut back to one job - eight hours a day, two kids in the mix, living in a mobile home park, two used cars in the driveway, two toys - don't own a garage, closet full of clothes, freezer full of convenience foods provided by the Schwan's man, having fun and loving life.

Fast forward one year... Still married, single income family, now a stay at home mom volunteering to fulfill my work addiction, bought a refurbished 100 year old house, two smaller, nicer but not new cars in the driveway, bicycles in the garage, garden in the backyard, closet waiting to be purged and listed on freecycle, pantry full whole organic foods, freezer full of homemade stock and spring berries; finally at peace with not equating my success with number of material possessions my salary will allow and sometimes beyond what my salary will allow, but with the harmony my family has at home. Quality not quantity.

What does all this have to do with sustainable living? My first marriage was hardly a sustainable one. We were spending more than we made, working on our careers more than our marriage, putting our individual wants before the needs of the family, and generally had our priorities out of order. Something had to give. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on the way you look at it) everything did.

It was a good life lesson.
  • I do not need a giant house to impress family and friends; that never visit because I am always at work to pay for giant house, that is merely a pain to clean and requires four paychecks to heat.
  • I do not need a vehicle the size of a tour bus, complete with dvd to entertain me on the exhausting half hour drive, and navigation to keep me from getting lost on the same route I take every day to work.
  • I do not need a garage full of toys that teach my children to covet material possessions when the best things in life are free.
  • I do not need to work three jobs to pay for an overflowing closet full of clothes that will be out of style before I could ever possibly wear them out, requiring replacement.
  • I do not need to feed my family nutrient deficient food in five minutes or less with an ingredient list that takes longer to read than prepare.
It was not until I let go of all the things Americans use to define themselves that I began to find sustenance in my life.

Spending time with family.
The partnership with my husband.
Pride of growing our own food.
Gratitude of a home cooked meal.
Assurance of natural products.
Heartwarming of helping others.
Safety of living below our means.
Comfort of a simple life.

Priorities now:
Do I need it or do I want it?
Will it benefit the family/household? Short-term? Long-term?
Is there an alternative? (safer, cheaper, reusable, re-purpose, already own)
What is my motivation?
Is there something of greater importance that should come first?

Slowing down, making less money, and having fewer possessions has led me to a happier, healthier, sustainable life. Going green was a welcome byproduct of the transformation. I believe the two go hand in hand. We cannot sustain our current lifestyles. We will consume and consume until we become consumed.

Only through a sustainable living it is possible to reach the highest of all human goals, to permanently be able to experience inner peace, happiness and harmony (self-realization).

Learn to live with only what is needed to sustain life. You will be far "richer" for it.

For whom enough is too little - nothing is ever enough.






To read more about sustainable living and what it means to other "greenies" check out the APLS Blog Carnival.
This month's topic: Sustainable Living is being hosted August 15, at Better Living.



8 comments:

ib mommy said...

Great post!

I've worked off and on throughout my kid's childhoods so they've gotten a taste of two lifestyles. Sure, they had more clothes, toys and gadgets when I was working but now as teenagers they value having a mom who is home to cook for them and mend their clothes and grow their tomatoes!

EnviRambo said...

ib mommy - You are lucky the kids appreciate the things you do at the age they are. It seems as teenagers they want just the opposite. More gadgets and cool new clothes than time spent baking together or working in the garden.

And how the hell do you get yours to eat tomatoes?! A vegetable - Gross! I arrived late to this game. I'm a stepmom to a 14 and 12 year old who didn't know what a vegetable was until I came onto the scene. We've come a long way, but I still have to sneak stuff into their meals.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous post! Thanks for sharing your story!

Green Bean said...

What an insight! What a personal example as to how unsustainable the American dream is. Thank you for sharing. It is a good reminder when we sometimes get distracted by something shiny. ;-)

EnviRambo said...

GB- It is not something I like to throw out there and made known, but my past has led me to where I am now and made me appreciate all that I have so much more.

Thanks for reading.
oooh, shiny....

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your post. A great reminder of the real cost of living for stuff.

Melanie said...

What a fantastic post! It's funny to me how people can be so caught up in stuff that they don't even notice how hollow it feels...of course, I say that as if I wasn't that way myself a few years ago (and don't still struggle with it);). Thank you for sharing this.

EnviRambo said...

melanie - You're right, it can be a bottomless pit of consumption. And for what? We're so busy buying more new stuff that we don't appreciate the stuff we already own.

I would rather have fewer things that I love, than be surrounded by a bunch of crap I bought because a commercial convinced me to. Which ultimately I will end up replacing after being seduced by yet another marketing ploy. *sigh*