My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tofurrific!

I am very proud of this meal for several reasons. First, it is home cooked. Second, I made the sauce from scratch! A first for me and quite a feat, I must say. Peeling and seeding tomatoes was an interesting and messy experience. Third, the tomatoes were heirloom, organic, and local purchased at the Farmer's Market. Mine are just starting to ripen. Fourth, I ate Tofu!!! Never in a million-quadrillion-bazillion years did I think I would ever utter those words. And I lived to eat it again another day. And fifth, Hubby ate it, too. And loooved it!! Ha ha! (He didn't know it contained tofu and never will. *wink*wink*)

I was a little apprehensive to eat it at first since I knew what lurked inside that seemingly innocent creamy white center. Hubby was so impressed that I made the sauce myself,

"You made the sauce!? From tomatoes?"
Now last I checked tomato sauce was made from tomatoes, but I just smiled and replied, "uh huh."


that he was completely oblivious to the secret hidden ingredient. Dah ta-da tah! Another ewww, healthy item I can sneak past the family. I cannot wait to try this one out on the kids. I am always slipping stuff in their food. They ate asparagus once thinking it was green beans. I peeled the stalks and cut them into lengths resembling cut green beans. *hee*hee* Maybe I will tell them when they are grown.

Here's the recipe for anyone who has four hours they don't know what to do with. Or, if you just feel like being evil like me and pulling a fast one on the family.

Fresh Tomato Lasagna
SAUCE:
4 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 3)
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (about 3 1/2 pounds)
1 cup chopped parsley
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (6-ounce) cans Italian-style tomato paste

FILLING:
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 (15-ounce) carton fat-free ricotta cheese
1 (12.3-ounce) package reduced-fat firm tofu, drained

REMAINING INGREDIENTS:
Cooking Spray
12 cooked lasagna noodles
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh parmesan cheese

  1. To prepare sauce, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato and the next 7 ingredients (through tomato paste). Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. To prepare filling, combine dried basil, ricotta cheese, and tofu in a bowl; mash ricotta mixture with a potato masher. (I used my electric hand mixer.)
  4. Spread 2 cups sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 noodles (cooked) over sauce; top with 1 cup filling, 1/2 cup provolone cheese, 2 tablespoons parmesan, and 1 1/2 cups sauce. Repeat layers twice, ending with noodles. Spread remaining sauce over noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup provolone cheese and 2 tablespoons parmesan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 8 servings
CALORIES 391 (26% from fat); FAT 11.1g (sat 6.3g, mono 2.9g, poly 1g)
PROTEIN 27.7g; CARB 49.5g; FIBER 4.4g;
CHOL 33mg; IRON 4.2mg; SODIUM 886 mg; CALC 476mg

2 comments:

ib mommy said...

That is one fine lookin' lasagna! I'll have to try to sneak that one past my kids.... I think they have tofu radar.

EnviRambo said...

ib mommy - you would be amazed at what flies under the radar when coated in cheese. ;)