My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, August 11, 2008

The fruits of my labor.


After countless hours of digging and planting earlier this spring, I finally get to reap the first fruits (veggies) of my labor.

BEANS! GLORIOUS BEANS!

Fresh from the garden with the dirt still on them. Cannot get more local or organic than growing in your own backyard. I love it!

This year is very much an experiment. Since this is my first garden, on a very shady half-acre lot full of walnut trees (apparently they are toxic to other plants), I wasn't sure anything would grow at all. Now I am thrilled to be harvesting from it!

Other plants doing well: tomatoes, cucumbers, pumpkins, gourds, peppers. Struggling: peas (planted late), broccoli (eaten by rabbits), watermelon, corn. All of my plantings are heirloom from organic seed. Zone 4.

Does anyone have experience gardening near walnut trees? What plants survive and which you should avoid?

2 comments:

Julie Artz said...

Here is a good article on which plants are most susceptible to black walnut toxicity: http://www.wvu.edu/~Agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm

Good luck with the new garden!

EnviRambo said...

julie- Thanks for the link! I have been looking for information on the toxicity of black walnuts. Very helpful.