My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Thrifty Green Thursday

My printer is full of FREE paper. Yours can be, too.

In an effort to reduce my paper consumption I started printing on both sides of the sheet. It wasn't enough. Then I started keeping digital logs of client's emails rather than printing all of them. It still wasn't enough. Switching to recycled paper made me feel a little bit better, but I still wanted to do more.

One day it struck me. I can kill three birds with one stone.
  1. Reduce my paper consumption.
  2. Reduce my paper waste.
  3. Save money by recycling my own paper.
It's simple. Any 8 1/2 x 11 paper coming into our household that has a blank side goes into the printer paper tray. Whether it be junk mail, donation requests, church newsletter, school information, the children's old assignments, anything. As long as it has a blank side it can be reused. And, it does not matter if it has been folded, hole punched, or stapled. It all goes through just fine, I promise. Just be sure to remove any staples first!


I have managed to buy far less paper by scavenging any half blank sheets I can find. I have reduced the amount of paper that ends up in the trash by reusing it. Sadly, our municipality does not recycle paper, only newsprint. Ridiculous! And, I have saved money by recycling (reusing) all the free paper floating around the house.

People are freely giving it to you. Why not use it? I submitted this as a challenge suggestion to Carbonrally in hopes of inspiring others to make this simple change. Do some good for the planet and your wallet at the same time. Put your mail to work!

11 comments:

ib mommy said...

My kid said she's gonna ask if she can turn in all her homework this year on re-purposed paper. Wonder how that's gonna fly... I was thinking of trying to boycott all the spiral bound notebooks this year and only using loose leaf.

Rebecca said...

I do this too! Unfortunately my printer does not like used paper as much as I do, and it tends to eat up two or more pieces when it's not perfectly flat. My printer ended up breaking, so that really saves on printer paper!

Another idea for reusing paper (if you don't have a printer, like me), is cutting it all into fourths and then clipping it with a big paper clip. Voila! Instant notepad.

Thanks for joining over on Thrifty Green Thursday!

Cathy said...

I do this too! It works fine, and I haven't had to buy paper in long time. It's amazing how much one-sided paper I get from my son's school.

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

If you compost, you can shred or rip up your used paper/junk mail and use that in your bin for "greens" (like grass clippings.)

Rebecca, I had a fussy printer too. I found that if I tried feeding one sheet of reused paper through it at a time (easier for printing one page docs than multi-age docs) I could coax it into printing on reused paper.

Joy said...

Thank you for this exceedingly easy and effective recycling tip! We do get paper recycling in our area, but reusing first, and then recycling is a much better idea. Thanks for enriching our Thrifty Green Thursday!

Burbanmom said...

Excellent idea! I've been using it for "scrap" paper - ie grocery lists, but there's no reason I can't use it for printing orders and shipping labels!

FABULOUS!

Unknown said...

I'm the secretary for a local church and I use recycled bulletins and newsletters in my home office. It's a win-win situation!

Anonymous said...

Hey! great tip, have started collecting scrap paper ready. :-))

EnviRambo said...

ib mommy - Good for her! There is so much waste caused by and going on in schools. New supplies every year. Is that really necessary? We have a stack of half used spiral notebooks.

rebecca - well that's one way to cut back on paper. lol I do cut some up into scrap paper, as well. My husband in notorious for making to do lists. We have little scraps of paper everywhere with half completed lists. I have started making him use the other side whenever he's compelled to start a new list. I got a big eye roll over that one.

cathy - The school is one of the worst paper offenders I know. Not the message we want to be sending to our children.

condo blues - Yep, I do this once I have used both sides. Also shred junk mail and use it to mulch the walkways in my garden. Good tip!

joy - Thanks for stopping by. I am glad I found Thrifty Green Thursday. Already looking forward to the next one!

burbanmom - I am not sure what you are shipping, but once you have used both sides you could run it through the shredder and use it as packing material for you orders. I am trying to figure out what to do with all the pillow packs I receive in Amazon orders. I don't plan on moving ever again!

bobbi - Good for you. A lot of my paper comes from the church, too.

kahunaman63 - Thanks for stopping by. Put the scrap paper work man!

Anonymous said...

Ours gets repurposed all the time for printing off receipts of online bill payments and for printing coloring pages. Why invest in a coloring book when I can bring tons of previously used paper home from work?

Robj98168 said...

Brilliant and why did'nt I think of that?