My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thrifty Green Thursday - Laying it on the line.

Basement clothesline.

During the summer it easy to conserve energy and money by hanging your clothes outside to dry. But, what about the winter or HOA's that do not allow outdoor clotheslines? If you are lucky to have an unfinished basement like me, And yes I said lucky. Most people consider finished basements a bonus, but I prefer a raw space. It is a great workspace, storage area, and place for the kids to hang out without worrying about mess. you can bring your clothesline inside.

When I first considered having an indoor line I searched the internet and found all different types.


Ceiling Mounted


Wall Mounted

Free Standing

Garage Door Line

None of these applications suited my needs. The retractable line would have entailed drilling holes in concrete. The ceiling mount would have clothes hanging for all to see immediately entering the mudroom. No good place for the wall mount. The freestanding would work, but I have a fairly large amount of laundry and do not feel like constantly pulling it out and putting it away. Leaving it out would just be in the way. No garage door either, not like that anyway. Plus, there is the price!

I finally realized my local hardware store would have all I need. Once I decided on a good location, in the basement where it is warm in the winter and out of sight/the way, it was only a matter of six eye screws, three turnbuckles, and line.

  1. Screw the eye bolts into floor joists.
  2. Attach line to one end.
  3. Place turnbuckles on other end.
  4. Attach line to turnbuckles.
  5. Tighten line.
  6. Hang clothes!

Right now I have three lines. If that proves to not be enough I can simply add more. I had left over clothesline from my outdoor line. The eye screws and turnbuckles cost $29.66. So for under 30 bucks and I can dry my clothes for free year round. Line drying combined with power strips shaved $60 a month off my summer electric bill! I do not know that I can ever bring myself to use my dryer again. Well, except for fluffing. My family complains if the clothes are crunchy. So once they have dried on line I throw them in the dryer and air fluff/no heat for ten minutes. They come out soft and there is no whining.

Plus, if you read I Need a Staycation then you know about my trip to the hospital to get the head of a tick removed from my side. I have a scar to remember the moment. I saw a sign in a bar once that read, "Check you Chick for Ticks." For all you outdoor line dryers out there, this one's for you!

5 comments:

Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

What a great idea! I tried hanging clothes to dry in the basement of my old house but it was too damp and the clothes smelled musty - bleech! In my current house I found that I have an indoor clothes line is completely free - the shower rod in a second bathroom. We're a small family of two so that works OK for us.

Rebecca said...

I was going to say the same thing as Condo Blues! In the Pacific NW, it's advised NOT to dry clothes in the basement. I had a load of laundry in my basement for over a week and they just remained wet and then grew mildew. I had to wash them all over again.

My last house was very small, and even on the main floors it would take over a week for clothes to dry on a rack in the winter. I didn't like having to walk around racks of drying clothes all the time. My new house has much more space, so I take the clothes from the basement (where the washer is) to the attic floor, where I hang them on racks. Even if my clothes do take a week to dry, I don't stumble over them, and I don't have to look at them.

You have a great homemade laundry line solution! I'm also impressed by how much money you save by avoiding the dryer. Wow!

Thanks for joiniing us for TGT!

Kathleen W. said...

This is such a great idea, and I can't believe I didn't consider doing this in our house. I like to line dry in good weather, but not that winter is approaching, I've been using the dryer more.

Our heater is in the basement which keeps it warm and not too moist down there, so I'll definitely be having my husband rig up some lines for me. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Joy said...

What a wonderful idea! I dearly wish that we had the right environment to join right in but, alas, I too live in damp Oregon where clothing never dries in the winter months. Also, we have no basement, but I briefly fantasized about hanging laundry from our living room ceiling and then reconsidered.... Thanks for your terrific idea and for joining us this Thrifty Green Thursday!

Cathy said...

You've inspired me--I hang my clothes outside to dry most of the year, but use my dryer in the winter and feel guilty about it. I'll have to hang more clothes in my basement this year.