My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, October 20, 2008

I Need a Staycation.

Whew! The past two weeks have been manic! Where has the time gone? It started with an energy audit; followed by a parade of contractors; multiple unscheduled trips to the dentist; meetings, meetings and more meetings; massive chili consumption; two days of floral arranging; lunch with a celebrity's wife; a good ass chewing over the phone; cooking a week's worth of meals in three hours; sewing stripes on Air Force blues until one in the morning; a worthless hour spent in the VW service lounge only to be told to come back next week; and last but not least a trip to the hospital to have the embedded head of a tick removed from my side.
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.

Mavis Leno

Speaking of party. Now I get to spend the next two weeks planning a teenage Halloween party and figuring out what to feed 70 of them for dinner. Ugh.

Would someone please press pause? I need to catch my breath. Oh balls, now what? My yard is being invaded by trucks and men. Hold on.....


Okay, it appears that the gas company has chosen today to dig a big giant hole in my yard and leave. They left a bag of tools behind so hopefully it means they will be back. With the way the last two weeks have gone I am not holding my breath. The conclusion of the energy audit was to replace our old fuel oil furnace with a new high efficiency gas furnace. According to his calculations we will save 40% on our energy bill and nearly recoup the cost of the furnace in one season. Wow! So We Energy is working on running the pipeline and installing a gas meter. Well, at least they were working. As suddenly as they came, they left. poof! Gone.


Oddly enough, my money plays the same game. One minute it is here. The next, poof! gone; leaving a big giant hole in my pocket. So far the furnace proposals range from $2,800.00 to $5,193.00. I have asked for numbers on tankless gas water heaters, too. $1,599.00 to $2,500.00. I am not sure we are ready to go that route. I would like to look into solar water heaters as well. Any of you have experience with either type? Good, bad or ugly?

Other musings from the last two weeks; eating 30 different types of chili in one hour is not good for you stomach, mixing hot syrup in granola containing chocolate chips does not make chocolate chip granola bars - it makes chocolate granola bars, line drying your clothes outside means you could have ticks in your pajamas, and setting your oven on warm with a loaf of bread inside for the final proof and then forgetting to turn the heat off makes a very flat chewy loaf of bread.


Dang.

4 comments:

The Three Little Bears said...

They left a bag of tools! Goodness gracious, get all over that before someone else does! lol.

Kim said...

We received a quote for a solar water heating system earlier this year, somewhere between $8,000 and $12,000 depending on the electrical work that would need to be done. I figured I wouldn't be able to recoup that cost even if we stayed in this house for the rest of our lives. I think tankless will be the way we go.

ib mommy said...

I'm with you on the Halloween party! Every year I've made a fabulous buffet with all kinds of good stuff for dinner. I practically have to force them to eat. This year I'm just making cookies, damn them.

Anonymous said...

A) I can't believe you are feeding that many teenagers
B) my boyfriend had a tankless hot water heater at his old house and it worked great. Very energy efficient. Endless hot water (good if you have a large family. They use it all over Europe and if I owned my own house, I would definitely have one. Make sure it's installed professionally - the heater can't be too far away from the tap or your water is no longer hot by the time it reaches you.
C) Now you've got me all paranoid about ticks.