My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Score one for the planet.

Seems like just yesterday, okay Friday, I was saying that one voice can make a difference. Well today one of those voices announced some very big news. Beth Terry and the Take Back The Filter campaign have scored a huge eco-victory for all of us.

From the official press release:

The Clorox Company News Release

Brita® and Preserve® Announce Filter Recycling Program

OAKLAND, Calif., Nov. 18, 2008 – The new year will bring renewed life for used Brita® pitcher filters, which will be collected and recycled into items such as toothbrushes, cups and cutting boards.

Beginning in early January 2009, consumers can recycle Brita water pitcher filters through a program with Preserve®, the leading maker of 100 percent recycled household consumer goods. Preserve offers an environmentally friendly recycling infrastructure for No. 5 polypropylene plastic, a primary material in Brita pitcher filters, through its Gimme 5 recycling and reuse program.

Preserve will collect the filters to use in its line of eco-friendly, 100 percent recyclable personal care, tableware and kitchen products. Preserve products made in part from Brita filters will be available at leading retailers, allowing consumers to purchase new sustainable products they helped create. more...
For more details visit today's post at Take Back The Filter.


Hats off to Beth, everyone who signed the petition, sent in their filters, and worked on the campaign. As a member of the Plastic-free Posse, we salute you!


3 comments:

The Three Little Bears said...

awesome! I always felt terrible throwing those things away. Although, now I have well water so I've been gleaning myself off of the brita pitcher.

I am going to pass this on!

Anonymous said...

It seemed like such a waste to throw out the filters. I am glad about this decision. Despite the fact that I do live overseas, I will bring them back when I travel to North America.

EnviRambo said...

Anon - I believe Brita already recycles these filters in parts of Europe. Check to see if it's available where you live. Or, maybe you could mail them in?