My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, January 12, 2009

Make Your Own

With the economy in a slump and the future of the environment in question a lot more people are looking for ways to consume less and make do with what they already have. From learning to sew, make repairs, grow a garden, and cook from scratch there is a whole lot of DIY going on. Lately I have noticed a new buzz in the blogosphere - MYO. Make Your Own certainly is not a new concept; for generations before us it was a way of life, there just is a lot of talk about it as of late.

In the past week alone a slew of posts have popped up.

Make Your Own:
mayonnaise
liqueur
apple sauce
apple cider vinegar
tortillas & enchilada sauce
marshmallows
vanilla ice cream
deodorant
sunscreen
foot scrub

Heck, I have even posted about MYO bread & butter, automatic dishwasher detergent, and menstrual pads. I do not know if it is the winter weather or some new found feeling of empowerment, but lately I look at something and think, "Why buy it? I can make that!". Becoming disgusted with plastic and over packaging has also been a motivational push in making my own.

Here are three things we use a lot of that are super simple to Make Your Own.

KETCHUP

1 (6-ounce) jar tomato paste
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons apple-cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste

1. Stir all ingredients together in a big sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture has reduced by about half, 15 to 20 minutes. Let it cool before serving.
2. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days, or freeze in 1/4-cup amounts for up to 3 months.

I find a muffin tin works great for freezing the 1/4 portions. Once frozen, remove from muffin pan and place in container of your choice. When needed, pull out the desired portions, thaw, and serve! The next recipe utilizes your frozen ketchup portions.

BBQ Sauce

1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Chipotle Chile powder

Combine all ingredients in a glass microwave safe bowl, stirring well.
Microwave at high one minute or until thoroughly heated. Enjoy!



Since this uses your homemade ketchup it will only keep refrigerated for the same amount of time. I only make it as needed so there is never any to store; however, you could make a larger batch and freeze just like the ketchup.

This last one I usually ask the Chitlins to make - it is that easy.

TACO SEASONING

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Put all ingredients in small jar, shake to mix.
Use 2 tablespoons to season meat.



I cannot believe I used to spend a buck on those little packets full of sodium! All the ingredients needed were wasting away in my spice cabinet. Never again. Follow amounts listed to use as needed; or, quadruple to have extra on hand. On a side note, I have found that taco meat makes super awesome chili.

Now that I have a few simple MYO recipes under my belt I would like to expand my repertoire. For 2009 my goals are:

yogurt
sour cream
mozzarella
ice cream
chocolate syrup
granola
stock/broth
cream of chicken/mushroom
pasta sauce
pasta
deodorant
laundry soap
compost/fertilizer

If you have any tried and true recipes for the list above, please post it in the comments or leave a link to your blog where you have posted about it. Other MYO suggestions/recipes are also welcome.

Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

Kim said...

I use baking soda for deodorant and it works really well. Just don't put more than a dab on or it will dry out your skin.

A Slice of the Pie said...

I just tried some homemade ketchup and I thought it was tasty. I didn't use a recipe- just threw some stuff together. Your recipe sounds good, so I think I will give it a try next time I need some ketchup.

Though I do make many things from scratch like pasta sauce, soups, and sauces, I often just whip something up without a recipe, but I did finally hit on a granola recipe that the kids and I all like, and I posted it on my blog:

http://enoughpieforeveryone.blogspot.com/2008/02/yummy-granola-recipe.html

Green Bean said...

I want to try the homemade ketchup. We had some that a friend made last weekend and it was AWESOME! I do the yogurt and use the recipe that came with the yogotherm. Here's a recipe if you don't have a yogotherm (never worked for me but you seem a bit more adept).

Anonymous said...

I've had a lot of fun checking out all of the links. I am most excited about the mayo, taco seasoning and deodorant. I'll make sure to write about how they turn out.

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and I've added this one to my 'Friday Faves' list of favorite posts for the week. Great job!

EnviRambo said...

Green Bean - The recipe link didn't work for me. Would you email it? I would also like to know about your yogotherm. I am serious about making our own yogurt this year, but don't know where to start or which machine to invest in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.


Jenni - Thanks for the listing in Friday Faves! Good luck with the MYO's you try. I am looking forward to seeing how they work out for you.