My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, March 23, 2009

Cutting the "Junk" out of Junk Food.

My family husband is a junk food junkie.  Our grocery list routinely states "Candy for Randy".  It is like a staple at the top of the list: Milk, eggs, butter, candy.  I always feel a little odd when the cashier unearths these items.   Hidden under a mass of nutrition from the other end of the spectrum: Organic, organic, milk, milk, milk, organic, produce, produce, orange slices, sour cherry balls, anise dolls, organic, organic, produce...  I try to avoid eye contact.

Then there is the immediate foraging for snacks upon entering the door after a long days work.  After a quick greeting it is straight for the chips!  He will easily consume an entire bag in one sitting, before dinner.   We, he, was going through three or four bags of potato chips a week.  Concerned this may not be the ideal choice, I switched his snacking from conventional greasy potato chips to organic tortilla chips.  Still not exactly healthy, but better I thought.  This was the routine for several months.

Now I have reached the point where I am tired of spending the nearly $3.00 per bag and sick of throwing all those bags away.  Think of all the money and waste we would save by making our own snacks!




Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Robin said...

Our grocery list starts with "junk food for Jeff". I make him hide it immediately when we get home so the kids won't eat it. He got 15 pounds of gummy candy for Xmas and ate it ALL in 24 days. And yes, feeding his junk habit eats 50% of our grocery bill; the other 50% feeds FOUR people (organic food!) and three cats.

I definitely try your crackers! But I hope to one day find the magic words that make my husband see that he is wasting money on food that is detrimental to his health... how insane is that?

Anonymous said...

The kids think that crackers are treats - like cookies! I kid you not. They still haven't made the connection that if I don't let them snack on junk food and I let them snack on crackers that crackers must not be junk food. They are only 6 and 4. I need to enjoy this innocence while I can.

My husband eats significantly more junk food than I. But since I married him and the food is actually in the house... my use has been creeping up. I am trying to cut back down!

PS. Safety razor is working out but I have had one bad cut and one not so bad *sigh* Still getting used to it I guess

EnviRambo said...

Robin - Ahh yes, gummy bears. My husband is familiar with those as well. As far as magic words, I can't help you out there, but have you tried saving receipts? I save all our receipts and am amazed at what and how much we spend our money on. I bet your husband would be amazed too.

Billie - Definitely enjoy it while you can! I came late to the game. My step-kids are 12 and 14. They came with pre-existing habits and ill conceived notions about food. I have to take things out of their original package to hide that they are organic (like that's a bad thing) and still they make comments like, "It's not the real stuff." Excuse me, what? Like that processed crap you have been eating is "real"?!? Oy Vey!

P.S. Don't give up on the safety razor. I cut myself with the "real" ones, too!