My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Reducing Through Seed Saving


With the seed catalogs rolling in, Melinda's new Growing Challenge could not have arrived at a better time. I missed the boat last year, but for those of you familiar with The Growing Challenge this year has a new twist: from Seed to Seed. All you have to do is plant at least one new crop from seed, grow it organically, and save the seed to plant next year.

I had every intention of doing this last year. I planted 24 plots of organic heirloom seeds, right under a line of Black Walnut trees. Yeah, it did not go well. Apparently, walnuts are toxic to plants. Shade + Toxins = Shopping at the Farmer's Market. This year I am armed with the All New Square Foot Gardening book from the library, a willingness to cooperate with Mother Nature, and a total disregard for the law*.

With all the effort I have been putting into reducing: reducing consumption, reducing packaging, reducing processed foods, reducing dependence; seed saving just makes sense. It accomplishes all of these in one fell swoop. I do not have to spend money every year to replenish my garden. I can reuse the seeds! No seeds to buy, no package for them to come in! I can replace trips to the processed food grocery store with a hop, skip and a jump to my whole foods garden. And, by preserving my bounty I am no longer at the mercy of escalating food prices or shortages in times of crisis.

I did manage to salvage some cucumber seed from my toxic wasteland of a garden. Assuming I do not spend my summer in perjury*, I will surely post on my misadventures in square foot/organic/heirloom/seed saving lackadaisical gardening.

*Don't ask, you could become an accomplice.

If you are interested in The Growing Challenge from Seed to Seed, head on over to One Green Generation and get yourself signed up!

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your square foot garden! I tried it last year for the first time and it was my most productive garden ever! Of course, I did get some new compost shipped in. . .. . but really, that method is really easy and the yields are great and there is basically no weeding! yay.

Andi said...

It's my goal to save seeds this year, too. Thanks for the reminder.

Queens personal injury lawyer said...

Thanks for the idea. This will save some money and time.