My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.midnightmaniac.com
and update your bookmarks.

envirambo

See me morph into action at the Green Phone Booth
Add to Technorati Favorites

the flock


follow me on twitter

follow me on facebook
Break the Bottled Water Habit
Eco Friendly, Environment & Green Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory

Monday, January 5, 2009

Miracle in my Mailbox.


3:00 in the afternoon and it is dark outside. Dark, cold, and VERY snowy. The picture above is of my garden. Well, the remains of my garden. Sadly, I never got a chance to clean it up before the snow came. Lifeless heirloom tomatoes clinging to their frozen cages. Peppers that were never meant to see snow. Frozen pumpkins still on their vine. Four more months of looking at this?



How depressing. But, just when I thought I was doomed to be a gloomy prisoner stuck inside this icy tomb, a miracle arrived in my mailbox.

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
but seed catalogs in the mail are so delightful!

I felt like running through the streets exclaiming, "The seed catalogs are here! The seed catalogs are here!".

Oh joyous day! I love the arrival of seed catalogs. They unabashedly proclaim the coming of Spring with their vivid color and glorious array of flora and fauna. No matter how ugly it is outside I am easily transported to another time and place with a mere flip of the page. I'll have that and that. Ooh, those look yummy. Gotta have some of these. What the hell, why not try something new? Add that to the list, too. I can see it now, my half acre buzzing with birds and bees enjoying the kaleidescope of brightly colored perennials and playful annuals; vegetables abounding from every square inch of the rows of raised beds; a kitchen garden full of aromatic herbs on either side of the front stoop; a massive pumpkin patch with those for cooking, carving, and gargantuan 1,000 pounder to take the blue ribbon at the fair; rows and rows of the juiciest sweet corn I ever laid eyes on; beanstalks reaching for the sky; tomatoes, oh the tomatoes! I will have a root cellar full of canned homemade sauce; a goat grazing in the only green patch that remains of the lawn and perhaps a small flock of chickens wandering about, gleefully scratching and pecking at the bugs.

I am being way overzealous/ambitious/optimistic I know, but who cares? For now it is just fun to dream.

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for seed catalogs!! I am looking at the grey, wet, coldness outside (and my own sad tomato skeletons that have gone through rains and frosts and snows)... and then I glance on my coffee table at the glorious color of summer... sigh. It's nice.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for seed catalogs!! I am looking at the grey, wet, coldness outside (and my own sad tomato skeletons that have gone through rains and frosts and snows)... and then I glance on my coffee table at the glorious color of summer... sigh. It's nice.